Does my Windows computer have antivirus software? If not, does Macalester provide an antivirus program to students, faculty or staff?
Windows XP's Security Center should show whether you have an antivirus program installed:
In Windows 7, check the Security Status page to see whether antispyware software is installed:
- Click Start and select Control Panel.
- Double-click Security Center or Security.
- Look at the Virus Protection setting. If the setting is ON, an antivirus program installed.
- Click the arrow icon next to ON to see the name of the antivirus program installed. Open this program and update it in order to meet Macalester's network requirement for antivirus.
- Click Start, type security status and press Enter.
- Click the down arrow next to Security.
- If the Virus Protection setting is ON, antispyware software is installed, the antivirus program's named should be listed.
If you don't have antivirus software installed, Macalester recommends Microsoft Security Essentials
and Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition
for home use. For college-owned computers, please contact the ITS Help Desk for assistance.